iPH Admin

• 640.961 μηνύματα
  • Twitter:@iphonehellas
  • Φύλο: Άντρας
  • Κινητό: iPhone 6 Plus
  • Tablet:iPad 3 +4G
  • GameCenter:iPhoneHellas

Δημοσίευση 06/04/2009 - 18:41

Ο Sauric δημοσίευσε ένα ενδιαφέροων άρθρο σχετικά με τα προβλήματα τα οποία αντιμετωπίζουν αρκετοί χρήστες με το Skype και το MobileSubstrate:

Posted Image

I keep getting a flood of e-mail from people about bugs in Skype and MobileSubstrate. There are the users who are incredibly thankful that everything is fixed, and those who are still having problems and even want to downgrade their MobileSubstrate.

This letter is to the people in the latter group, in the hope that it fully explains the problem, the correct solution, and also why MobileSubstrate looks to be a culprit at a glance (but actually isn’t).

In all seriousness: MobileSubstrate is not your problem. Yes, I understand that you upgraded MobileSubstrate to 0.9.2804-1 and it worked, and you upgraded to 0.9.2805-1 and it doesn’t. That does not mean that 0.9.2805-1 is your problem: debugging is a much more complicated problem than that.

MobileSubstrate is a framework that allows “extensions” to modify the code of existing “applications”.

Here are some typical examples:
    * WinterBoard: changes the way graphics and other files are loaded
    * SBSettings: alters the status bar to drop down a useful settings panel
    * Backgrounder: adds code to any program to put it in the background
    * VoIPover3G: tricks programs into believing they are on WiFi (not 3G)

Doing this is somewhat tricky, as one might imagine. You have to be very careful to not disrupt the program you are extending: it is easy to break it.

The primary tool is libsubstrate (which extensions often use): it provides a couple tools to do the hard parts: it lets developers hook functions.

MobileSubstrate itself, though, doesn’t do anything but load other extensions (which in turn may use libsubstrate). This makes it generally harmless.

By doing so, it can provide a layer of safety through “Mobile Safe Mode”:
    when extensions cause SpringBoard to crash, MobileSubstrate detects this and lets you temporarily use your device without any loaded extensions.

The goal of this is to let you safely get into Cydia and remove the buggy package: not run your device in safe mode for a performance improvement, or to annoy and irritate the user ;P.

Ok, now we have Skype: Skype is doing something very tricky in the way that it loads. It may not be the only program that does this, but it is definitely the only well known one.

Due to this weird loading mechanism, MobileSubstrate 0.9.2690-1 itself, just the extension loader, used to cause Skype to crash after you used it for a while: something in “dyld” would get used “too soon”, and you’d eventually tickle it the wrong way and crash it.

When this became major news, it was 2AM and I had been travelling all day. As I wasn’t in the position to fix it, I released 0.9.2804-1, the hack version people claim “works”. This version simply refuses to load extensions into Skype at all: it purposesly won’t work.

The next morning I then worked on actually figuring out what was wrong and then released MobileSubstrate 0.9.2805-1. This version works 100%.
    Seriously, trust me: it works 100% correctly, as it should, with Skype.

What this means is that 0.9.2805-1 actually loads extensions you have installed into Skype. If any of these extensions have bugs in them (maybe even Skype-specific ones !!), then Skype isn’t going to work correctly.

Downgrading MobileSubstrate, therefore, is not the correct answer: getting the broken extension fixed is.

However, the story is even more complicated even than that: now that extensions are being loaded into Skype, the Skype process is slightly more
    complicated than it was before: you are using both the code from Skype and from the third-parties.

Now, going back to earlier: I said that MobileSubstrate 0.9.2690-1 caused a problem with Skype that it took a while to notice: usually about 45 seconds: something had to “tickle” the problem.

Now that Skype is more complicated, you are using a lot more code, faster, and are more likely to tickle things. If you have that dyld bug you can expect even more, worse crashes.

However, I said that MobileSubstrate 0.9.2805-1 doesn’t have that bug anymore, and I really was serious.

Unfortunately, not everyone actually uses MobileSubstrate to write their extensions. Some of these developers have legitimate reasons (mAdvLock), and some just don’t (IntelliScreen).

So, these few non-MobileSubstrate extensions are causing (and always did) the same underlying problem that MobileSubstrate did before: they are destabilizing dyld in such a way that Skype later crashes. The symptom looks different, however, as now extensions are tickling different things.

Due to this, I’m flooded with reports that random things are broken: everything from MobileSubstrate to Better Tap to Unlock (which seems so unrelated to this problem it hurts ;P). Someone even “isolated” this problem to using some WinterBoard themes.

However, that should seem very unlikely: as complicated as Skype may be, it is just another program. It loads weirdly, so MobileSubstrate did need to be updated, but all of the extensions you use every day should not randomly stop working; in fact, they are not the source of the bug.

Therefore, Uninstalling or dowgrading MobileSubstrate, or removing specific extensions, may look like it helps, but you are just punting the problem to some less noticeable corner of Skype by jettisoning your loaded extensions.

The only correct fix for these bugs you are having then needs to come from the vendors of non-MobileSustrate based extensions: not from me.

So, now we know A) why this is all happening (loading code too early corrupts dyld) and B) why it looked like it worked before you upgraded MobileSubstrate (the bug was always there, but a more complex program means you notice it sooner).

Here is a list of currently known non-MobileSubstrate based extensions. I have so far not found a single user for whom removing all of these packages did not fix the problem; but, there may very well be more of these in Cydia.

* IntelliScreen
    * mAdvLock
    * mCoolPhone
    * MobileHook
    * MobileLog/iLog
    * Rock Extensions

If you don’t want to uninstall these packages, then you should contact their respective developers to get them fixed and updated for Skype.

Really, they should be modified to use MobileSubstrate’s loader. That way they will not only work with Skype, but as I release upgrades to fix any issues in the future (and as you can see from my response time on Skype: I care) they will continue to work correctly.

This is as simple as linking their .dylib into the DynamicLibraries folder, rather than putting their own entry into SpringBoard: it seriously should not take longer than five minutes to fix.

In fact, this is so simple, users with some small amount of technical knowledge can do this themselves. It doesn’t even require the original developers to make these fixes.

Even more to the point, as I find this situation incredibly bothersome, if there is sufficient demand for it I may release a tool that retrofits these extensions to use MobileSubstrate.

I don’t, however, believe that is a correct solution to this problem. (Also, I’m not certain when I’d have time to get around to writing it :(.)

Ad

Ad

Team
iPhoneHellas
3,1416 μηνύματα
Twitter: @android
Φύλο: Όπως το δει κανείς
Κινητό: Android
Tablet: Για τα κουνούπια

Γιατί να γίνετε μέλη;

#62   gpb

gpb

iPH newbie

• 11 μηνύματα

Δημοσίευση 06/04/2009 - 21:07

Λοιπον ακολουθησα τις οδηγιες και εβγαλα το mcoolphone με αποτελεσμα για πρωτη φορα το skype να δουλεψει κανονικα! Αν δε σας δουλευει διαβαστε τη λιστα με τα προγραμματα που δημιουργουν προβλημα!!

#63   thanos

thanos

iPH newbie

• 62 μηνύματα

Δημοσίευση 07/04/2009 - 17:25

Δεν εχω κανενα απο τα πιο πανω προγραμματα και ομως μετα απο περιπου ενος λεπτου λειτουργιας το Skype σταματαει να δουλευει

#64   thanos

thanos

iPH newbie

• 62 μηνύματα

Δημοσίευση 07/04/2009 - 17:55

Reinstall το MobileSubstrate και δουλευει κανονικα

#65   eldaralex

eldaralex

iPH newbie

• 9 μηνύματα
  • Φύλο: Δ/Α

Δημοσίευση 15/04/2009 - 00:01

Μόλις βγήκε νέα έκδοση του Skype. Έκανα το update και με το που ξεκινάει η εφαρμογή βγάζει μήνυμα οτι η version αυτή λειτουργεί μόνο σε 2.2 firmware "απείραχτου" iPhone. Σε μένα παρόλα αυτα δούλεψς κανονικά και ας το έχω jailbroken

#66   iPodTouchPro

iPodTouchPro

iPH Elite Poster

• 3.187 μηνύματα

Δημοσίευση 15/04/2009 - 11:38

UPDATE: Skype 1.0.2 for iPhone Update Issues Jailbreak Warning

Skype for iPhone has been updated to version 1.0.2 and now warns that jailbroken phones are not supported.

iClarified reader Francois reports that "upon launching the new app, there is warning saying: "This version of Skype is only supported on unmodified iPhone OS 2.2. Quick tests on my jailbroken ipHone 2G showed me it still works anyway..." You can find a screenshot of the warning below.

It is likely that Skype has included this warning due to the many incompatibilities with jailbroken applications that do not use MobileSubstrate. You can find more information on how to correct these problems and why they happen here

Whats New in This Version:
- Improved support for calling phone numbers that don't have a country code
- Improved error handling when making calls to landlines and mobiles, which previously may have failed if you had a monthly subscription
- Resolved a problem with new account creation, which caused customers to be redirected to an incorrect web page, when making a purchase
- Fixed a problem, which caused the application to crash, when tapping a contact image (avatar) within a chat.

Skype 1.0.2 for iPhone can be downloaded free from the Apple App Store.

Posted Image

#67   lefteris

lefteris

iPH newbie

• 17 μηνύματα

Δημοσίευση 16/04/2009 - 05:55

Υπάρχει κάποιος τρόπος να υποβαθμίσουμε στο MobileSubstrate 0.9.2804-1;
Κάποιο source το οποίο να το προσφέρει ίσως;

#68   sepsis

sepsis

iPH Hero

• 8.236 μηνύματα
  • Twitter:@hsouris
  • Κινητό: iPhone 5
  • Tablet:iPad 3 +4G

Δημοσίευση 16/04/2009 - 20:23

δεν νομίζω αλλά πάντως το MS δεν ευθύνεται που δεν παίζει το Skype. διάβασε στο http://cydia.saurik.com το κείμενο του για το Skype και θα καταλάβεις

#69   lefteris

lefteris

iPH newbie

• 17 μηνύματα

Δημοσίευση 17/04/2009 - 17:23

To ξέρω ότι το MS δεν ευθύνεται, αλλά αν υπάρχει τρόπος να χρησιμοποιώ το skype χωρίς να απεγκαταστήσω το iLog, τον προτιμώ.

#70   giorgos_rou

giorgos_rou

iPH Contributor

• 1.402 μηνύματα
  • Κινητό: iPhone 6

Δημοσίευση 07/05/2009 - 21:35

exω την τελευταια εκδοση του substrate και του skype  αλλά μετά από ένα λεπτό κρασάρει...τι κάνω ρε σεις παιδιά?

#71   noob

noob

iPH User

• 155 μηνύματα
  • Φύλο: Γυναίκα

Δημοσίευση 15/05/2009 - 13:34

Θέλετε να χρησιμοποιήσετε το Skype και με το 3G; Η λύση έρχεται από Tricker3G. Το κατεβάζετε/εγκαθιστάτε από το Cydia και είστε ΟΚ

#72   rooky

rooky

iPH newbie

• 13 μηνύματα

Δημοσίευση 15/05/2009 - 14:23

Θέλετε να χρησιμοποιήσετε το Skype και με το 3G; Η λύση έρχεται από Tricker3G. Το κατεβάζετε/εγκαθιστάτε από το Cydia και είστε ΟΚ

στο 2g δεν δουλευει

#73   noob

noob

iPH User

• 155 μηνύματα
  • Φύλο: Γυναίκα

Δημοσίευση 15/05/2009 - 16:01

Ίσως δεν δουλεύει σε δίκτυο GSM (2G)... μάλλον γι'αυτό το λένε Tricker3G και όχι Tricker2G :)

#74   jasonvitt

jasonvitt

iPH newbie

• 89 μηνύματα

Δημοσίευση 15/05/2009 - 16:30

Παιδια εγω τελικα βρηκα γιατι δεν μου δουλευει.
Εχω εγκατεστημενο το intelliscreen οπου λενε οτι ειναι απ τα προγραμματα που δεν ειναι συμβατα.
Εχει βγει καινουργια βερσιον που ειναι συμβατη αλλα οχι "δωρεαν" δυστυχως λογω ενας προβληματος με το Rock This Phone η καπως ετσι.

Εχει κανεις αντιστοιχο προβλημα? Υπαρχει τροπος να το βαλω και να κρατησω την δωρεαν εκδοση του intelliscreen και να δουλεψει σταθερα εννοειται?

Ή μηπως στο κατω κατω δεν αξιζει? Προσφερει καλυτερη ποιοτητα κλησης απο αντιστοιχα (fring κλπ) ??

Thanks

#75   jasonvitt

jasonvitt

iPH newbie

• 89 μηνύματα

Δημοσίευση 27/05/2009 - 15:50

Reinstall το MobileSubstrate και δουλευει κανονικα

Εχω βγαλει πλεον και το intelliscreen και το iLog. Αυτα τα 2 ειχα απο "απαγορευμενα" αλλα εξακολουθει να crasharei.
Πως κανω reinstall το mobilesubstrate??

thanks

Ad

Ad

Team
iPhoneHellas
3,1416 μηνύματα
Twitter: @android
Φύλο: Όπως το δει κανείς
Κινητό: Android
Tablet: Για τα κουνούπια

Γιατί να γίνετε μέλη;